Pellet Plant Operations Shift Supervisor
Company: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Location: Silver Bay
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Northshore Mining Company, a subsidiary of Cleveland Cliffs
Inc., is a taconite mining and processing facility located in
Northern Minnesota. The mining facility is located in Babbitt, MN,
and the processing plant is located in Silver Bay, MN, on the north
shore of Lake Superior.
We have an immediate opening for a Pellet Plant Operations Shift
Supervisor. This position is located in Silver Bay, MN. Travel
between Silver Bay and Babbitt sites, other Cliffs mine sites and
other associated business travel may be required.
The primary responsibility of this position will be to direct
and monitor the performance of the Operations crews associated with
the Hot Side (Filter Building, Pellet Plant, and Yards & Docks).
This will include direct supervision and leadership of the
Operations work force.
- Be a champion of safety - through safety interactions, safety
meetings and by example.
- Conduct weekly safety and information meetings within
- Coach, direct and develop the work of the Filter Building,
Pellet Plant, and Yards & Docks Operations Technicians to meet and
exceed safety and productivity expectations.
- Communicate to all crew members their job assignments, timing
expectations, and associated tasks.
- Assist the Control Room Operators in coordinating the
Operator's shift efforts.
- Routine audits of; 5s areas, workplace inspections, and
confirmations of standard work performance.
- Coordinate the weekly projects for the hot side across
departments to maximize results and minimize impacts on daily
- Review and analyze Critical Process Metrics with CRO's and
follow through as necessary.
- Report out on Operating Slides at L2 meetings.
- Management of personnel within the following areas;
performance, promotion reviews, call out, OT and crew
- Document & investigate safety & environmental incidents & enter
- Identify and coordinate major cleanup issues with day shift &
- Assure equipment & areas assigned to your crews are maintained
- Prioritize daily Break in Work for instrument, electrical,
mechanical through maintenance supervisors.
- Prioritize and direct shift maintenance personal, work with
Cold Side Shift Supervisor if needed for additional maintenance
resources on the off shifts and/or the Maintenance Supervisor on
- Participate in, support, and lead business improvement
- Understanding of the pellet plant quality specifications
related to specific products; DR, Standard, Sinter, Coated DR.
- Bachelor/vocational degree in related field or at least 5 years
related work experience is required.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in mining or heavy industry, with
preference given to those with both operations and maintenance
- Previous successful leadership experience is required. Must
provide examples of how past leadership experiences have improved
- Previous supervisory experience is a plus.
- Must be a champion of safe production methods & ideals.
Promotes continuous improvement. Must understand and be able to
communicate and implement safety, mine and MSHA rules,
environmental policies and procedures and operate in an
environmentally responsible manner.
- Must possess leadership skills necessary to direct the flow to
multiple departments to keep business running efficiently and
effectively. Must be able to deal with conflict effectively and
develop good relationships, trust and respect with other
- People Skills - must have excellent interpersonal skills and
the ability to motivate and delegate. Must be willing to promote
Northshore team concepts and enforce company policies fairly and
consistently. Must be skilled in team solving techniques.
- Computer Skills - must have strong computer skills and
proficient in Microsoft Office software. Must have working
knowledge of computer maintenance management systems (Ellipse).
Must achieve a passing score on Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook
and Ellipse computerized assessment tests prior to interview.
- Organizational Skills - must have the ability to plan and
coordinate multiple work tasks with a variety of employees,
departments and outside contractors. Must be able to set goals and
develop strategies and schedules to accomplish goals.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to
interact and communicate with all levels of the organization. Must
have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be willing to challenge the status quo, identify and
pursue new ideas and opportunities to improve production, safety,
add value, and/or solve problems.
- Decision Making Skills - must be able to think logically using
factual data and structure ideas to influence others. Must make
sound, timely decisions under conditions of uncertainty and risk.
Must be able to multi-task and work well under stressful
- Must be able to facilitate the development of employees by
providing constructive feedback and continuous coaching.
- Must be capable of working effectively and safely using a
participative management style in a team environment.
Please note that all applicants must meet the physical
requirements of the position by the close of the posting
INTERESTED EMPLOYEES SHOULD APPLY BY USING THE WORKDAY SYSTEM OR
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing
reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If,
because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable
accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send
an e-mail to email@example.com or call 1-(312) 899-3097
and let us know the nature of your request and your contact
information. Do not email your application materials to this email
address. Application materials sent to this email address will not
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We
evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color,
religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status,
disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity),
genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The following links provide information regarding your Equal
Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO
is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct
pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
Keywords: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc., Duluth , Pellet Plant Operations Shift Supervisor, Other , Silver Bay, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!