Mine Operations Supervisor
Company: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Northshore Mining Company has an immediate opening for a Mine
Operations Supervisor. The primary responsibility of the Mine
Operations Coordinator is to direct and monitor a mine operations
crew on a shift with effective leadership in order to safely
execute the work set in the mine operating plan. The coordinator
must be willing to work with the on-shift dispatcher, maintenance
and engineering personnel, and other staff to enforce safe
production, monitor and correct any quality or environmental
issues, and ensure all employees adherence to company policies. The
coordinator will be required to maintain safety as a top priority
throughout the shift, effectively communicate with all employees,
and demonstrate consistent leadership.
The successful candidate must be willing to rotate on a 12-hour
shift schedule with all four mine operations crews. The shift
schedule will include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Create and promote a positive working atmosphere in order to
safely and efficiently execute the goals of the mine operating
- Be a champion of safety - through safety interactions, safety
meetings and by example.
- Continually monitor technicians for adherence to safety
standards throughout performance of assigned tasks.
- Communicate to all crew members their job assignments, timing
expectations, and associated tasks. Follow-up on progress
throughout the shift.
- Conduct safety and informational meetings to crew and complete
safety contacts in the field.
- Coach, direct, and develop technicians on tasks completed in
the mine to meet and exceed safety and productivity
- Consistently follow-up on any safety concerns brought forth by
- Manage training needs and promotions for crew technicians.
- Conduct promotion reviews and technician performance
- Take proactive measures to correct any safety or production
problems that arise during the shift.
- Communicate with control room operators, maintenance
technicians, crusher personnel, and railroad to meet the production
goals for the shift.
- Use radio and telephone communication systems within accepted
- Coordinate the response to emergencies during the shift
utilizing the resources available.
- Oversee contractors involved in mine operations projects and
any contractor performing work within active mining areas.
- Complete and submit all necessary safety, environmental, and
production reports within the required timeframe.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in mining or heavy industry
required; or applicable four-year degree, preference given to those
with both operations and maintenance experience.
- Must be a champion of safe production methods and ideals.
Promote continuous improvement. Must understand and be able to
communicate and implement company safety rules, MSHA standards,
environmental policies and procedures, and quality standards.
- Previous successful leadership experience is required. Must
provide examples of how past leadership experiences have improved
- Knowledge of mining equipment and crusher operations is
required. Must understand the broader vision of the job function,
company organization, and the mining industry.
- Must have the ability to plan, coordinate and follow-up on
multiple work tasks with a variety of employees, departments, and
contractors. Must be able to set clear goals and develop strategies
to meet these goals.
- Must have excellent communication skills. Must be able to
clearly communicate the shift operating plan to employees and
interact with other departments to meet the goals of the operating
- Must be able to think logically using factual data provided.
Must be able to make decisions based on information provided and
input from others. Must be able apply knowledge of safety rules and
other company policies and goals and the operating plan to guide
the decision making process.
- Clearly communicate and implement all new policies introduced
and be able to provide technicians with up-to-date information
regarding current best practices and standards.
- Must have strong computer skills and be proficient in Microsoft
- Preference is given to applicants with two or more years of
- Must be willing to work a rotating 12-hour shift schedule with
additional working time for a shift-transition. Schedule will
rotate through nights, weekends, and holidays. Must be open to
assignments on all four operations crews.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefit program
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities
- Bonus program
- Tuition reimbursement
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. (Cliffs) is the largest flat-rolled steel
producer in North America. Founded in 1847 as a mine operator,
Cliffs is also the largest producer of iron ore pellets in North
America. In 2020, Cliffs acquired two major steelmakers, AK Steel
and ArcelorMittal USA, vertically integrating the legacy iron ore
business with quality-focused steel production and emphasis on the
automotive end market. Cliffs' fully integrated portfolio includes
custom-made pellets and hot briquetted iron (HBI); flat-rolled
carbon steel, stainless, electrical, plate, tinplate and long steel
products; as well as carbon and stainless steel tubing, hot and
cold stamping and tooling. Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, Cliffs
employs approximately 25,000 people across its mining, steel and
downstream manufacturing operations in the United States and
Northshore Mining Company (Northshore), a wholly owned
subsidiary of Cliffs, is a taconite mining and processing facility
located in Northern Minnesota.The mining facility is located in
Babbitt, MN, and the processing plant is located in Silver Bay, MN,
on the north shore of Lake Superior.
Applicants for this position must be currently legally
authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The
company will not sponsor applicants for this position for work
Please note that all applicants must meet the physical
requirements of the position by the close of the posting period.
Please contact the Northshore Mining Company Human Resources
department with any questions.
Internal applications must be received by May 4th, 2021. Any
applications submitted after this period may not be considered.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or
protected veteran status. The following links provide information
regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections:
EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free
workplace and conduct pre-employment testing as a condition of
Keywords: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc., Duluth , Mine Operations Supervisor, Other , Babbitt, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!