THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of
announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available
source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and
qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the
location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific
locations where jobs are being filled and the dates when
applications are due for these locations can be found at https://fsoutreach.gdcii.com/Outreach.
Learn more about this agency
- Duties listed are at the full performance level.
- Interprets complex silvicultural prescriptions and marking
guides to designate harvest timber.
- Develops and drafts timber cruise plans. Applies instructions
issued in a cruise plan.
- Interprets computer output reports, tables, and statistics to
provide quantity and quality estimates of timber products.
- Lays out timber sale boundaries in accordance with
environmental assessments and other instruction.
- Writes reports describing timber sale, resource, topographic
features, and compliance of timber marking with guidelines.
- Interprets aerial photographs for information such as road
locations, sale boundaries, survey monuments, and other
- Drafts sale area maps. Provides technical assistance to
specialists in the development of complex logging plans and
preliminary road location.
- Performs supervisory duties. Plans the work to be accomplished
by the unit, assigns work to employees, and establishes production
or quality standards for the unit's work.
75% or less - Overnight lodging will be required for meetings,
trainings, workshops, and project work.
0462 Forestry Technician
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service
registered or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background
investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of one year probationary period, unless
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to
have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check.
To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and
responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver?s license.
In order to qualify, you must meet the eligibility and
qualifications requirements as defined below by the closing date of
the announcement. For more information on the qualifications for
this position, visit the Office of Personnel Management's General
Schedule Qualification Standards.
Your application and resume must clearly show that you possess
the experience requirements.
Specialized Experience Requirement:
For the GS-06 level: Applicants must have one year of
specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05. Qualifying
specialized experience is defined as: Provided support with tree
measurements, map reading and compass use, species identification,
defect recognition and determination, quality determination,
traversing, use of aerial photos, and use of timber cruising tools
and techniques; interpreted silvicultural prescriptions and timber
marking guides to designate harvest timber; measured amount and
quantity of timber in designated timber sale areas; applied
instructions issued in a cruise plan.
For the GS-07 level: Applicants must have one year of
specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06. Qualifying
specialized experience is defined as: Used computer programs
required for data collection, cruise processing, traversing, and
GPS; experience in the fundamentals of timber cruising including:
tree measurements, map reading and compass use, species
identification, defect recognition and determination, quality
determination, traversing, use of aerial photos, and use of timber
cruising tools and instruments; used sampling systems such as 3P,
fixed area, point, and sample tree to determine statistically sound
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including
volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace
Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional;
philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social).
Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and
skills and can provide valuable training and experience that
translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for
all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification