Company: Michigan Technological University
Posted on: May 3, 2021
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity
Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides
equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other
accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at
Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human
Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for overseeing, developing and
implementing the General Sciences and Arts Program for students who
arrive at Michigan Tech undecided, exploring their options before
choosing a major.
This position is responsible for advising all students on campus
who are questioning their major.
As a member of the Wahtera Success Center, this position also works
with students who want or need academic support, who have academic
success plans, who are on probation, and/or in need of
The Program Director/Advisor works closely with the College of
Sciences and Arts, other Academic Advisors, the Wahtera Center for
Student Success, the Dean of Students and especially Michigan Tech
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be
- Oversee, Develop and Implement the General Sciences and Arts
- Participate in Orientation as a Program Director and Academic
- Teach SA 1000: Exploring Majors at Michigan Tech during Fall
and Spring Semesters.
- Plan the course curriculum for SA 1000, maintain the Canvas
Course, create assignments and evaluation methods.
- Advise students who have not declared a major or who are
considering changing major.
- Meet with students to prepare for Registration.
- Make sure students are completing appropriate courses for
General Education and for potential degrees they are exploring to
maximize credits toward degree.
- Meet with students for academic outreach.
- Be willing to respond to students questions and concerns
outside of work hours.
- Keep records of student meetings in Maxient.
- Meet regularly with the Wahtera Center Success Staff.
- Participate on committees related to Advising and Student
- Meet with prospective students and their families who visit
- Host a table at Michigan Tech Open House and Preview Day.
- Collaborate with Admissions and University Marketing for
- Assist with efforts to recruit prospective students to the GSA
- Prepare annual reports for the Dean of the College of Sciences
- Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and
applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University
continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum
- Masters degree or relevant experience
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
- Teaching experience at the college and/or high school
- Experience working with college students.
- An understanding of how to navigate and succeed in a university
Desirable Education and/or Experience
- Advising experience.
- Experience with degree audits and minors audits.
- Experience with general education.
- Experience using Banner, Banweb, Maxient and registration
- Experience planning and developing course curriculum.
- Experience mentoring and motivating students.
- Experience and knowledge of Michigan Tech majors, minors, and
other educational opportunities.
- Experience with retention efforts.
- Experience recruiting and developing recruitment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum
- Knowledge of student success strategies.
- Knowledge of first-year experience and the transition from high
school to college.
- Ability to mentor and motivate students.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural
boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students,
faculty, and staff.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive
the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be
required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered
finalized until the required background check has been performed
and the results received and assessed.
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable Based on Experience and Qualifications
Title of Position Supervisor
Dean, College of Sciences and Arts
Internal & External
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures* (minimum
Keywords: Michigan Technological University, Duluth , Academic Advisor, Other , dodgeville, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!