Nursing Director Med/Surg East
Company: Essentia Health
Posted on: June 24, 2022
This position oversees all aspects of patient care for the Medical
Surgical Units and Services at SMMC as well as Medical Surgical
nursing professional practice throughout the East Market. The
Director works closely with Chief Nursing Officer to guide medical
surgical nursing's growth, clinical practice, staffing
effectiveness, and patient satisfaction. Coordinates activities
between defined areas and provides clinical and administrative
leadership and expertise. Facilitates an atmosphere of interactive
management and the development of collegial relationships among
nursing personnel and others in support of Nursing excellence. Has
major responsibility for the implementation of the vision, mission,
plans, and standards of the organization and nursing services
within defined areas of responsibility.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the fiscal and clinical operations of identified and
assigned SMMC medical surgical units and practice teams.
- Develops department budgets in collaboration with CNO.
- Integrates department services with the hospital's primary
function maintaining communication with medical and nursing staffs,
Administration, patients and their families/significant other.
Coordinates and integrates services within departments.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures that guide and
support provision of medical surgical services. Supervises nursing
staff and assures staff competency.
- Participates in Magnet Nursing Journey and related
- Conducts ongoing assessment and improvement of the department's
- Promotes the Quality Management program of the facility
maintaining appropriate quality control programs (where
applicable). Oversees and drives performance in quality metrics,
patient safety and clinical excellence initiatives.
- Participates in strategic planning: Develops, markets,
implements, and evaluates new services and programs recommending
space and resources needed.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Establishes and promotes collaborative relationships with
physicians and other health providers and participates in planning,
implementing, and evaluating programs of patient care.
- Promotes and facilitates intradepartmental and
interdepartmental communications and relationships among clinicians
- Develops goals and objectives for medical surgical nursing
within SMMC and throughout the East Market, in partnership with
East Market nursing leaders, and participates in development of
goals and objectives for Nursing Services.
- Supports and enables orientation, in-service training, and
continuing education for all staff within the department.
- Engages staff in active participation in medical surgical
nursing, unit and hospital committees, unit, facility and system
professional governance initiatives, etc.
- Assesses and evaluates staff, creates coaching and development
plans to achieve and sustain high performers.
- Collaborates with CNO/HR re workforce planning and hiring needs
and disciplinary action.
- Engages in workforce development to develop pipelines of
qualified candidates for future vacancies and care model design
- Develops and sustains strategies to ensures patient and family
- Optimizes resources to support quality, patient-centered care
and patient throughput.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONSEducation Level:Bachelor's
degree in nursing (BSN) and relevant masters or advanced degree are
required.Years of experience required:Five or more years of
demonstrated clinical nursing leadership and management experience
required.Specific types of experience and skills required:
- Results oriented and engaged in collaborative goal
- Displays sound judgment and critical thinking.
- Demonstrates time management skills, including prioritization,
timely follow up and deadlines.
- Quality performance monitoring, labor management, scheduling,
clinical / contract and new hire processes.
- Evidence of preparing and monitoring annual Nursing unit
- Sound Fiscal Management skills.
- Excellent inter-personal and inter-professional communications
skills; in writing and verbally.
- Previous experience with Magnet Nursing program is a plus.
- Active and unencumbered RN licenses in MN and WI
Day Rotation (United States of America)Shift Start Time
VariableShift End Time
Effective December 1, 2019: Job offers are contingent upon
successful completion of a post-offer assessment, including a urine
drug screen, immunization review, proof of required vaccinations,
and background check. Essentia Health is committed to maintaining a
work environment free from the influence of illegal drugs and
Essentia Health EEO:
Essentia Health is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity,
national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Essentia Health, Duluth , Nursing Director Med/Surg East, Executive , Duluth, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!